Stories We Tell
gave insight as to how everyone’s truth is different, and how these truths
affect people differently. First, I want to write the disclaimer that I’m
talking about personal truths here, like in Diane’s story, which affect only
those involved directly or indirectly.
Harry, the biological
father of the filmmaker Sarah, asks ‘Can you get at the truth?’ And answers it
with ‘I think you can get very close to it, but you have to limit it to those
who were involved in the events’. This quote illustrates how truth is
malleable. Harry laments that Diane is no longer around to give her side of the
story, which is a problem as she is one of the only two people involved in the
events. This makes the truth even more limited, to only Harry’s view. Truth is
subjective as it is affected by memory. You could even say the truth isn’t real.
Ask several people to recount an event and they are likely to all say something
different. I think a better way of putting it is that everyone’s truth is
different. When reading about philosophy I found that the ancient Greek philosopher
Protagoras believed different things can be true for different people (Nagle,
p.10). For example, it can be true that the wind is cold to someone but not to
someone else. Truth is relative to our experiences (p.10). So, you can’t get
right at the truth, even with the original participants, because everyone sees
it differently.
![]() |
| His twin brother, Bach. Am I the only one who sees the resemblance? Yes. Okay. |
Harry does say that
everyone should get an equal voice. If people were affected by the event, they
deserve their say. This is something I agree with – we may never get to the
actual truth, but one thing we can determine to be true is how events affect people.
Let’s look at how the events affected Michael. I want to talk about him because his reaction made me happy. When Sarah revealed what she had discovered about her true parentage, she asked Michael if it makes a difference. Michael responds ‘It doesn't make any difference at all to you and I in terms of our relationship'. This shows his truth – Sarah is his daughter. This is opposed to the scientific ‘truth’, and definitely isn’t objectively true in any case. It’s an unfortunate case that often, in our society, men reject children who aren’t biologically theirs. For example, I will link a Quora answer below where a man rejected his child after finding out he wasn’t the father. I say his child because he later accepts the boy as his and loves him as much as his biological son. All of this is just me trying to say: When it comes to (personal) truths like this, how we feel defines the narrative.
The truth is that
the actual truth can never be found. However, how events affect people is definitely
real, and should be listened to. Again, the disclaimer here: I am referring to personal
truths and not trying to argue that you can override scientific truths with feelings,
like anti-vax movements.
https://www.quora.com/Have-you-ever-found-out-your-kid-wasn-t-yours-by-getting-a-paternity-test-If-so-what-did-you-do-and-did-you-stay-in-the-child-s-life
References:
Nagel, J., 2014. Knowledge. 1st ed. Oxford: Oxford University Press, pp.10-11.


Comments
Post a Comment